I finished a tranch of pipes on the 18th of September. This foto shows them before oiling. The sound from these was the most consistent I have been able to achieve so far.
I am back home after my third trip away in three weekends.
On the 21st and 22nd September I was in Hamilton taking a workshop for the mens' shed. On the first day I demonstrated the making of bamboo pipes. On the second day we moved onto turning pipes out of wood. At the end of the Sunday workshop some kind student showed me some cherry. When I cut the log open I found the most beautiful colors in the wood.
He showed me where the log lay. The result. A beautiful pipe for the student out of cherry and a pile of blanks. I am really thrilled with this wood as it is from a log that has been down for over two years. Cherry tends to split very easily when the wood is freshly cut. This log had not split. I am hoping the wood will not split now that I have cut it.
The following weekend I went to a "Kaylee" in Titirangi.[apologies for the spelling].
Some students from the Titirangi Steiner School have my pipes. I checked the instruments of students who had my pipes. Two needed replacing and some needed oil. [Note, any purchaser of my pipes gets the same service free, if you post me the pipe.]
Saturday saw me again in Hamilton for another "Kaylee". [who decided how to spell this word?]. A very cheerful band.
One of the issues I have with tuning is that blowing harder can make the pipe sharper. What do you do if a piper in the band insists on playing their very loud and expensive whistle on the top octave with all the gusto they can manage. They were very "sharp." HEEEEEEELLLLUP! Not nice for the fiddle player.
The following weekend I was at the Anthroposophical Society Conference in Auckland. Many people there knew I made pipes so I had soon sold a dozen. One very discerning woman wanted to buy an old model made from lophomyrtus. The issue was that it had a longer fipple than the newer constellation models. The sound was different. It was harder to blow. I promised to remodel the fipple to give it a sweeter sound. See foto. The lophomyrtus wa spalted and so is very rare. I doubt I will ever get to turn coppersheen/lophomyrtus again.
I also made a fife. See foto of the fife next to the Lophomyrtus pipe.
Now I am making eurythmy balls for a school in Sydney. The first few were out of cherry wood..... the wood just mentioned above.
Beautiful wood. Lovely markings. Exquisite colors. The foto does not show the colors as they are in real life, but it does capture the markings.
I see some of you have posted comments. Thanks.
Cheers Chris Bacchus, Fiddler and Pipemaker