Jubilee Pipes - .pipes and flutes for children.  Class sets of instruments.
RSS

wood pipes
woods
Workshops
powered by

My Blog

The Peak of Walks

Today I had my bike booked in for a service.  That meant I had to walk.  The best walks in Hawkes Bay are on Te Mata Peak.  [That are easily accessible from Hastings]

So  I walked.  A most splendid walk too.  Let me show you.

The first thing I come across on my walk was a grove of gum trees!  Aussies!!!  I think gum trees will soon be "recognised"  as New Zealand Natives, there are so many of them here.

The path winds through some lovely secluded trees.  These are all less then ten years old. They seem to have been here forever.

At the gateway a pepper tree stands watchman.  Although less than ten years ols. the gnarly trunk of this tree suggests two hundres years.

Gum trees have flowers.  This means they feed bees!  Gums have their uses.

Cordylline Australis.  Cabbage trees.  They have become quite popular now that they have survived attack by a deadly virus that threatened to wipe them out.  Native to NZ

They are, when young, tall and thin trees.

Found on [in] the footpath.  Fossil shells.  These rocks were once under the sea.

Less than 100m from the last fotograf.  Two large pines stand as sentinels on either side of the path.  No tree in Hawkes Bay is older than 150 years if it came from some other country.  These pines are exotic.  Natives of Western United States.

This tree, a Totara, is a native of New Zealand and is common in parts of Hawkes Bay that have not been stripped of  native vegetation.  It is related to pines.

This foto show the needle-like leaves of the Totara.  The wood is a favorite of woodcarvers and farmers.  It is very durable when used as a fence post.

This pant is an import from England.  It is called ragwort.  It was a terrible weed on our farm when I was a child.  We spent hours diggint them out or cutting them down.  The seeds, if unripe, would mature and spread on the cut down or ripped out plant.  Each single plant had upwards of a million seeds.!!!  It spread like wild fire and was disliked by sheep and cattle beasts alike.

At least this NOXIOUS weed gives you something useful.  In February it produces thousands of juicy blackberries.  You just have to wear heavy leggings and gloves to get them.  It is also from England and spreads very rapidly.  It responds to mowing by disappearing.

A view over to the hills that are grazed as farmland.  They are still part of the parkland but are grazed to bring the park income.  Very pretty with morning mist [most unusual at this time of year] covering the tops of the hills.

If I wrote children's books, then this is the sort of spot I would select as the home of the fairies.

There is a person in this picture.   Some of the walks in the park travel over this hill.

This forest was planted in 1945, so this year it is seventy years old.  The plants are all native to New Zealand.

Three native littlies.  The first is the broad leaved plant
 that we used to call the bushman's letter paper, because you can write on the backside of the leaf which is almost white.  It is also known as the "Bushman's Loo-paper". The next plant is edible and has the same flavor as peppery spinach.  The third is a fern with rather broad tendrils on the leaves.

A remarkable hobbit-like path leading to a stile.  Hobbits are often seen here wandering around looking for rings and hoping to meet Gandalf!!!!!

A large redwood.  It is astonishing how quickly trees grow when they are imported into New Zealand.

The first Linden Tree I saw was in North Germany.  I did not think there were any in NZ.  This foto is proof positive that they do grow here.

A macrocarpa tree was one of my favorite climbing trees when I was growing up.  I loved the nuts for using with a shanghai.  This was an implement for firing anything small and round over large distances. Here are lots of Macrocarpa Nuts.

The distinctive foliage of the macrocarpa tree.  Not a veined leaf, nor quite a needle.  They were place in the cypress family for a long time, but now some botanist wants to change that.  They are not true cypresses either.

Something I have known from childhood experience....  underneath their gree foliage, Macrocarpa are a mess of sharp little twigs.  Almost impossible to clear your way through.  Hence only those Macrocarpa that you often climb are nice to climb.

The trunk was hard to find underneath the dense foliage.  The wood is very nice.  It is known colloquially as "Cow-cockies Kauri".  Kauri is a highly prized furniture wood.  Farmers had lots of Macrocarpa growing and used it in their houses and furniture.  It looked like Kauri.

Limestone cliffs. The track winds along their base.

The top of this hill used to be grazed.  Now it is planted in natives.

Looking up the valley towards the top of Te Mata Peak.  It looks very attractive in its green.  Any more dry and it will all be really brown.

Looking up to the top of the track.

Almost at the top.

From the top we see a road, cars and a restaurant!

This Macrocarpa is huge.  It can't exceed 150 years in age, for that is the length of European settlement in Hawkes Bay.  The Macrocarpa is a European imprt from USA.

The top of Te Mata Peak is still shrouded in cloud.  It is very pleasant for walking.  This foto is looking back on our track from the road we saw in the last picture.

What a wonderful place for a restaurant.  The view from the reataurant is worth the journey.  This picture only shows the vegetation surrounding the back of the restaurant.

Ti-tree [or tea tree] is found commonly in the Coromandel near where I grew up.  It had to be planted on Te Mata peak as it had all gone.  It is most unprepossesing but is amazing in its fragrance, the honey bees collect from it, and its ability to burn with great heat.

This slope used to be grazing land with short grass on it.  Its is much nicer now with plantings of native and non-native shrubs and trees.  My car can be seen in the distance.

A friendly volunteer who helped plant all the beautiful plants and shrubs on the slope I had just descended.

The hill I have just descended.  In ten years it will be magnificent.

This very beautful bark from a gum tree just is begging for a chance ot be seen.  However it is much more beautiful in real life.  If you get the chance come and visit Hawkes Bay to see it yourself.

Cheers, Chris the Pipemaker

30 Comments to The Peak of Walks:

Comments RSS
essaydune on Tuesday, 22 August 2017 9:30 p.m.
Nature is amazing! I also like to unite myself with nature and go for walks following spectacular scenery, virgin places, where no one has stepped yet. I love to discover for myself beauty of nature.
Reply to comment

GetHomeWorkOnline on Wednesday, 20 September 2017 6:36 p.m.
Notwithstanding the way that given how fundamental this point is, still I feel we are seeing an extraordinary number of talks, and I feel, it will at indicate occur as arranged, not as individuals give input.
Reply to comment

Homework Help UK on Monday, 25 September 2017 7:31 a.m.
This is a to a thoughts boggling degree enlightening article. I in like path trust your publish identify and also you clearly well address your factor of view. I'm astoundingly upbeat to see this put up. A dedication of appreciation is with an obvious awareness for allowing to us. keep it up and proportion the extra most related publish.
Reply to comment

Quality Assignment Writing on Tuesday, 26 September 2017 6:36 p.m.
A benevolent volunteer who helped plant all the excellent plants and bushes on the incline I had quite recently dropped.
Reply to comment

Fresh Essays UK on Wednesday, 27 September 2017 7:18 p.m.
I love to read this knowledge about tree's. There is developing enthusiasm for multi types steamy manors yet little data exists to control their outline and viticulture.
Reply to comment

John Boyega Red Comic Jacket on Friday, 6 October 2017 8:00 p.m.
Cross the remaining parts of a divider and after a short separation pass an incompletely fenced old mine pole to your left side. Way dynamically turns out to be more characterized yet at a fork take the correct hand way and stay away from the tractor tracks drifting left. Proceed over temples of slope and take after way to stile at far corner of field.
Reply to comment

Superman Smallville Leather Jacket on Monday, 30 October 2017 1:09 a.m.
Those who come to read your article will find lots of helpful and informative tips
Reply to comment

Do My Assignment For Me on Saturday, 6 January 2018 8:38 p.m.
A willpower of appreciation is with an apparent focus on allowing to us. keep it up and percentage the more maximum related post. That is a to a mind-boggling degree enlightening article. I in like route accept as true with your post identify and you honestly well cope with your thing of view. I'm astoundingly upbeat to look this put up. https://www.dailyassignmenthelp-au.com/write-my-assignment
Reply to comment

Movie Jackets on Friday, 2 February 2018 12:59 a.m.
I found this post very exciting. I am also sending it to my friends to enjoy this blog.
Reply to comment

Randy Orton RKO Hoodie on Friday, 30 March 2018 2:39 a.m.
i like to read this the information about trees. There is always developing enthusiasm for multi types steamy manors yet little data exists to control their outline and viticulture.
Reply to comment

samish leather on Wednesday, 4 April 2018 1:23 a.m.
Reply to comment

monu on Monday, 7 May 2018 6:31 p.m.
Reply to comment

Assignment help online on Tuesday, 22 May 2018 7:46 p.m.
It is one of the finest websites I have stumbled upon. It is not only well developed, but has good content as well. It could prove to be an inspiration for many other entrepreneurs. Our company is into assignment writing service sector and helps pupils in completing their academic tasks. Students can use our service for the same purpose.
Reply to comment

Assignment help UAE on Monday, 28 May 2018 5:02 p.m.
Students Assignment Help delivers assistance to students by its professional writers who serve assignment help UAE services. Our assignment expert writers have earned their degrees from top universities and are available online to assist students.
Reply to comment

July 2018 Calendar Printable on Tuesday, 17 July 2018 2:47 a.m.
Valuable information you have, Keep up the good work you are doing here.I like this website so much it's really awesome.I have also gone through your other posts too and they are also very much appreciate able and I'm Just waiting for your next update to come as I like all your posts. Welcome August Pictures
Reply to comment

August 2018 Calendar on Tuesday, 17 July 2018 2:48 a.m.
I have also gone through your other posts too and they are also very much appreciate able and I'm just waiting for your next update to come as I like all your posts. Printable 2018 August Calendar Word August 2018 Calendar Printable
Reply to comment

hermes kelly bags on Tuesday, 24 July 2018 9:14 p.m.
If you have the desire to create a great look and style with your outfit for that special dinner or just for everyday use, then you want to take a look at the replicas of a hermes replica purse that you will find at Hermes Sale. They work diligently to create replica wallets, bags and accessories from all of the top designers today so that the average person can easily get the high style and fashion that they want without having to spend a fortune along the way.
Reply to comment

hermes kelly bags on Tuesday, 24 July 2018 9:15 p.m.
where to buy fake hermes bag? It is only natural that every woman wants to have the best look and style whenever they go out. This covers not only the clothing that they may be wearing, but all of their accessories as well. You want to have just the right jewelry, right pair of shoes, right sunglasses in the right jacket that are what time of year it may be or where you may be going. To top it all off, you also want to be sure that you have a great looking handbag or purse to carry with you. Having just the right bag can help to create a complete style and look for yourself. While you may not be able to afford what your favorite celebrity or model may be carrying on the red carpet, you can still get great style at a very affordable place if you know where to look.
Reply to comment

Assignment help online on Tuesday, 24 July 2018 10:20 p.m.
Website is the premier method to introduce your business to the market. I find it good to see that you have done well in maintaining your site. Students not being able to write their academic coursework could opt for our online assignment help and can get comprehensive homework written from us.
Reply to comment

best gymnastic mats for home use on Thursday, 26 July 2018 6:21 p.m.
Great historical images with this well written post of Peak Walks, I am very happy to see your post online and must want to appreciate your efforts.
Reply to comment

smith on Friday, 3 August 2018 11:14 p.m.
I have learn about the peak of walks. Its really amazing one the whole article is perfect for my info source sound deadening mats for sale
Reply to comment

Jorge Andreson on Saturday, 4 August 2018 1:07 a.m.
These are the wonderful pictures of the Forest for walk. I know many people love to see this attractive post. You have done great job. UK rubber matting for entrance ways
Reply to comment

Bullguard coupons on Friday, 31 August 2018 12:52 a.m.
Shocking information! I beginning late went to your blog and have been pulling back along. I figured I would spurn me regardless of remark. I don't see what to state other than that I have.
Reply to comment

September Blank Calendar on Monday, 3 September 2018 11:00 p.m.
Reply to comment

karan on Monday, 3 September 2018 11:01 p.m.
Reply to comment

kansas city locksmith on Thursday, 13 September 2018 6:49 a.m.
Nice website having great stuff. I would like to appreciate you for such type of worthy effort. Keep posting nice info in future.
Reply to comment

rinki on Monday, 17 September 2018 2:13 a.m.
Reply to comment

sargun on Monday, 17 September 2018 2:14 a.m.
Reply to comment

Lewis rowlings on Tuesday, 18 September 2018 10:08 p.m.
We really appreciate the kind of topics you post here and best work you have done, keep it up.Cheap Custom Cut Stickers
Reply to comment

Law essay help UK on Tuesday, 18 September 2018 11:55 p.m.
Nature is always beautiful to experience, we are so much busy in life that we hardly witness the nature, thanks for uploading an amazing pictures , hope to explore some of these places.