This afternoon I began turning the new set of pipes. The first one was from Bay Wood, the tree that provides bay leaves for cooking. The fragrance when turning is delicious.
You can see the blank I chose right on top, right in the middle, next to the eye protection.
The writing says it all.... "Bay"
Just for proof. .. The numbers indicate the wood was cut inMay  2015 [5 15]
The knot in the middle of the blank disappeared during turning.
I have made depth cuts using the tool shown. This allows me to control the size of the pipe very exactly.
I now cut away the wood down to the depth marked.
The form of the pipe is cut. Now finishing. Note, not a knot!
The five different grades of sand-paper are hanging conveniently on the wall by the lathe.
From left, 60 grit, 150 grit, 220 grit, 320 grit, 400 grit. So many different grades is unnecessary. I could use just three.... but hey! I like sanding.
Sanded, polished and with a little black mark burnt on with string.
The faint pencil marks show where I cut the "fipple".
The fipple is cut and the sharp [at the bottom] edge formed to the best sharpness I can get.
This bamboo forms the underside of the duct through which the air is blown against the sharp edge I made.
The piece of bamboo shown is trimmed to fit over the top, so the air can still flow.
This step is shown here.
A little bit of tidying..........
.. and trimming ......
and the pipe is complete. Well almost. Tuning and adding the finger holes will come when the whole batch is turned. Maybe ten days from now.
Cheers Chris the Pipemaker