Jubilee Pipes - .pipes and flutes for children.  Class sets of instruments.
RSS

wood pipes
woods
Workshops
powered by

My Blog

The Castlepoint Lighthouse

I arrived at Castlepoint to spend the night with my sister Diana and her husband Mike.

They had rented nice waterfront bach near the "harbor".

It had a great view of the water and Castlepoint Lighthouse.

After a cup of tea we set off in strong winds, to climb to the lighthouse.

To get to the lighthouse we had to cross the "harbor", which consisted of a flat sandy area which was regularly overrun by the tide.

This flat area was home to fishing boats.  The sand was hardpacked so vehicles could easily drive over it.

Because the wind was "offshore" [that is it blew from the land onto the sea] the waves were quite small.  Here a larger wave spreads over the sand by the path upto the lighthouse.

This is the view looking back from the foot of the path up to the lighthouse.  In the distance is "Castle Hill",  the hill that gives Castlepoint its name. Five fishing boats are lined up.  I expect they are crayfish boats as they all have Hamilton Jet drive.  The only fishing boat that had Hamilton Drive in my experience was a crayfish boat.  They have great manouvrability.

The rocks by the path to the lighthouse are limestone as shown here.  They do look like a lava flow.  The limestone is on the top and there are other sedimentary rocks underneath.

The weathering on the rocks is most interesting.  It really does look like a lava flow.

The path leads up past the lighthouse to the top.  On the left you can see the light sedimentary rock that lies under the limestone cap.

There are some big boulders lying in the sea below the track.  Great for fish and crabs.  The coast is known for its rock crayfish.  They are related to the lobsters of America, that are caught on their eastern seaboard.

The grey rock in the middle ground is eroding and will eventually reduce the land on which the lighthouse stands.

On the furtherest right you can see the cottage [bach] we are staying at.  The village of Castlepoint is quite large.

The strong winds were whistling around the windows of the lighthouse.  It was hard to stand up. I needed the rails as support.

The sea is flat but not calm.  As the wind hits the water it ruffles the surface.  No waves are created, but the surface starts to reflect the strong wind.  See up on the right.  There is a dark patch of wind driven water.

From here you can see the whole of Castlepoint  Harbor and Castle Hill.  The boats have to be on trailers that have big fat wheels with big fat tyres for the sand.

The view from the top.  There is some soil that hasn't yet been blown away and a few plants that have tenacious roots.  The walkway is to protect these plants.

Cheers Chris the Pipemaker.

18 Comments to The Castlepoint Lighthouse:

Comments RSS
reviews on Friday, 9 March 2018 6:28 p.m.
The fishing method and how to market the fishes in different way are tells about our articles in online. You can collect more points related to your business and all types of analytical papers are available here. Technical writing and modern technology can be used for making those documents.
Reply to comment

Writing my coursework on Saturday, 31 March 2018 4:39 a.m.
Wonderful photos and wonderful sense of style from the author of this blog! You describe events from your life as if I had just experienced them myself.
Reply to comment

get app downloads on Wednesday, 18 April 2018 5:01 a.m.
Very beautiful photos. They inspired me with memories of a vacation and a serene summer. Thank you for inspiring your readers.
Reply to comment

bestessays on Thursday, 19 April 2018 9:03 p.m.
This is the most amazing place which I have seen for the first time and I am glad about it. It sure seems to be a good place which I have been willing to see in the next upcoming holidays.
Reply to comment

www.mcdvoice.com on Friday, 11 May 2018 10:20 p.m.
McDonald’s restaurant launched a web portal to collect the customer feedback survey. As the company believes that the feedback survey helps them to improve their services and reach out to customer expectations and needs.
Reply to comment

iqoption on Saturday, 23 June 2018 9:47 p.m.
I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight.
Reply to comment

Do My PHP Programming Assignment on Monday, 2 July 2018 7:17 p.m.
Good Way Of Telling, Good Post To Take Facts Regarding My Presentation Subject Matter, Which I Am Going To Deliver In My College
Reply to comment

Harvard Business Review HBR Cases Solutions and Analysis on Monday, 2 July 2018 9:48 p.m.
I Genuinely Appreciated Understanding It. Sitting Tight For Some More Incredible Articles Like This From You In The Nearing Days
Reply to comment

nightrush on Thursday, 12 July 2018 12:05 a.m.
When playing at online gambling clubs, you are offered numerous rewards. It is essential to know every one of the insights about a reward before you choose to acknowledge it.
Reply to comment

Betty Jones on Wednesday, 18 July 2018 4:28 a.m.
After reading your post and seeing these picturesque landscapes I wanna go on vacation after finishing my work on https://service-essaywriting.com to Castlepoint. I am so impressed by these magnificent views of the village.
Reply to comment

1xbet on Thursday, 19 July 2018 10:28 p.m.
On the off chance that they do win, so do you! On the off chance that they lose, you lose your wager sum.
Reply to comment

Nordicbet on Saturday, 21 July 2018 7:07 p.m.
the event that you have a reward of store you make and with a 20X betting prerequisite, you need to wager a battle for preceding pulling back.
Reply to comment

finmax on Wednesday, 1 August 2018 4:51 a.m.
Along these lines you build up a framework that works in the long haul. It might have the two wins and misfortunes yet in the long haul it profits.
Reply to comment

Regina Brand on Friday, 10 August 2018 10:22 p.m.
The pictures are so beautiful and according to your story, you enjoyed the time there with your sister and her husband. I think this is what I need now. Just to go somewhere to the seashore and relax. I am a bit tired of job seeking and searching for the pros and cons to decide which way is better to apply for work Resume vs Linkedln. https://bit.ly/2ATEOYm
Reply to comment

Casinoeuro on Tuesday, 21 August 2018 7:38 p.m.
That is an extremely decent arrangement and truly something one of a kind. New clubhouse suggest that you experiment with this new online gambling club and live for yourself an awesome internet gaming background.
Reply to comment

Rivalo on Sunday, 26 August 2018 12:22 a.m.
The objective of the site is to proffer fun amusements which should close to be as a rule build up inside gambling clubs.
Reply to comment

play ojo on Wednesday, 29 August 2018 9:20 a.m.
He will then allow every player to take more lowlifes or take none. Any individual who goes more than 21 has "busted" which implies they lose regardless of whether the merchant likewise goes over.
Reply to comment

jeux casino on Sunday, 16 September 2018 5:10 a.m.
You can change the table in the event that you are exhausted with it or play a few online card amusements in the meantime.